Saturday, July 24, 2010

Logic and Logic In Action

Instead of watching TV or letting the kids play together (without me) today (just how do I fall into "lazy parenting" so easily?), I used some of the techniques that Lori and I learned at the Love and Logic parenting conference we attended last week. Kids want to contribute to the family, they want to be helpful. Find productive stuff for them to do. Last weekend they helped me wash the car. Today I told them to clean their pool. I didn't tell them how, I just let them go at it. On their own they filled a bucket, asked for soap and got the sponges and scrubbed until they were done. Halfway through as I could see them start to lag a bit, I let them know that if they finished the job and did it well they would be rewarded with a treat. They did awesome and we all enjoyed some ice cream after they were finished. The kids attitude and behavior right now is really good and they seem very happy. Of course they are, you say, you gave them ice cream! Yes they enjoyed it, but it isn't just the yummy treat. They feel proud that they helped the family by doing a chore and feel good about themselves that they did a good job.

This isn't rocket science and it seems like common sense. That's why it's called Love and Logic I guess. Check out their web site, there are a ton of good parenting resources.

Posted via email from Mocha Brain Freeze

No comments: